Comparison of Outcome in Open Reduction Internal Fixation With and Without Maxillomandibular Fixation in the Management of Symphysis and Parasymphysis Fracture


  • Anum Iqbal
  • Zainab Shah
  • Atta ur Rehman



Background and Objectives: Fractures of the jaw can causes malocclusion and widening of the face if ill-treated. To
compare the results of ORIF (open reduction internal fixation) only versus open reduction internal fixation along with
maxilla-mandibular fixation in the management of mandibular symphysis and parasymphysis fractures.
Methodology: In this study, 150 patients were divided into A and B groups (75 each group) by lottery method. One
group (A) was treated with ORIF only, while other (B) was treated by ORIF and MMF. Miniplates were placed in
accordance with Champy’s principle.. Each plate was fixed with monocortical screws that were 2-mm wide and 7-mm
Results: Our study shows that Group A had a mean age of 30 years with Standard Deviation ± 2.76 whereas the Group
B mean age was 32 years with Standard Deviation ± 3.12. 72% of the patients in Group A were male and 28% were
female. In the case of Group B 75% patients were male and the remaining 25% were female. In Group A 5% of the
patients had malocclusion, 3% patients had infection and 4% patients had wound dehiscence. 7% of the patients in
Group B had malocclusion, 5% patients had infection and 7% patients had wound dehiscence.
Conclusion: Our study concludes that the difference of outcomes (malocclusion, infection, wound dehiscence) between
open reduction internal fixation along with maxillomandibular fixation and open reduction internal fixation only in the
treatment of mandibular symphysis and parasymphysis fractures, were not significant.